Thursday, December 9, 2010

Favorite Holiday Recipe

One of my favorite treats of Thanksgiving and Christmas Dinners is "The Green Cake."  It is actually called a Pistachio Crunch Cake but since childhood, we have all called it the Green Cake.  So, I am going to share this cake recipe with all of you in hopes someone else will be adding The Green Cake to their family Traditions as well.
Ingredients:
Duncan Hines Butter Cake Mix
1 box Pistachio Pudding
4 Eggs
1/2 Cup Oil
1 Cup plus 2 Tablespoons Sour Cream
2 Cups Pecans Chopped (we use 1 bag but I can't recall the size)
1 Cup Light Brown Sugar (Use more of Less to your taste preference)
2 Teaspoons Cinnamon (again, Suit your taste on this)
Bundt Cake Pan

Start with a cold oven!!!
Mix together the Cake mix, pudding, eggs, oil and sour cream in one bowl, mix pecans (chopped), brown sugar and cinnamon in a second bowl.
Spray Pan with Pam (or your preferred way of greasing pans) and coat bottom of Bundt Pan with sprinkles of the Cinnamon Mixture, then pour 1/2 cake mix on top of cinnamon mixture, then sprinkle around 1/2 of the Cinnamon Mixture on top of the cake mix in the pan, add remaining cake mix and then the remaining Cinnamon Mixture on top of cake mix.  Bake this in a cold oven at 325 Degrees for 55 minutes.

Due to the Pistachio Pudding added to the cake mix, the cake will come out a beautiful green color- so moist and fluffy!  Everyone in my family just loves this cake, so this year we are doing things a bit differently- My mom and I have both bought several of the tiny cake pans and we are going to make up a bunch of mini cakes so everyone can pick the one of their choosing!
I have seen this recipe all over the internet under a lot of different names and varieties of ingredients and amounts, but this is the one my aunt passed on to me, so it is the one we have always used!  Sadly, I do not have a picture of one of ours at this time, but I found one on the internet that is similar. They do not use the cinnamon/pecan mixture on the top- they went with powdered sugar :).  I WILL take a picture of mine when we make them later this month and post it then!  *Hugs* and Merry Christmas!

7 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! Going to try this for sure.........Thanks so much for sharing.......your Secret Family Recipe!
    Huggles
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmm! Now this recipe sounds scrumptios. Both hubby and I love pistachio a lot. I will have to make this cake especially for him. Hugs, Fran

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alicia, this looks great! I think I'll have to give it a try. I love pistachios.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will try this today! I'm having a group over tomorrow and original menu was scrapped and was wondering what I could come up with...This is perfect - I told one of my coordinators I love color in my menus and this would definitely help with my wishes. TFS~

    ReplyDelete
  5. The other Sandy said it does look good and I'm gonna try it too!
    Merry Christmas
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I like this and you have my mouth watering! It would be a fun cake to make over the holidays and you know...I just might! Thanks for sharing this! Diann

    ReplyDelete